The Water Laboratory at the Scientific Services Branch, located within the Water and Sanitation Department of the City of Cape Town, is looking for a Laboratory Assistant.The Laboratory is largely responsible for the chemical monitoring of potable water in the Cape Metropolitan Area (CMA).
- Grade 12 (Mathematics and Science)
- Up to one (1) year environmental or laboratory related experience
- Computer literate and must be able to work accurately and record scientific data.
- Be in possession of a Driver’s license
- The incumbent must be physically fit and able bodied
Key Performance Areas
- Assist with conducting microbiological, chemical and physical analysis and preparation of lab, general chemical reagents and media
- Assist and perform site visits and the operation of basic instruments for the branch.
- Maintain good standards in terms of general laboratory housekeeping and health and safety
- Clean and maintain all glassware, sample bottles and other lab ware in the laboratory
- Perform and assist in the regulation of basic stock and consumable levels including the procurement and disposal of chemicals and other consumables
- Assist with ISO 17025 accreditation and application of basic laboratory information management system (LIMS)
- Responsible for the handling of samples from sample receiving area (SRA) or clients and assist with basic administrative functions – Good interpersonal skills and planning abilities.
- Be willing to handle hazardous chemicals and equipment and also travel within the boundaries of the City and beyond.
How to apply
Closing date is 22 August 2016. Click here to apply online